Big data is not a new phenomenon. But the methods by which we gather, combine, and analyze data keep evolving, and by doing so, they often reveal new business opportunities and ways to save time and resources.
For service providers and network operators, it is essential to gain access to data through in-home monitoring and follow what happens in the home where the CPE (customer premise equipment) is installed. Data obtained by the customer support tool is the network operator or service provider's key to unlocking business intelligence for high-performance customer service and proactive network infrastructure improvement.
Data can tell you so much
Imagine having access to data that tells you exactly how each CPE is being used, and how it is performing. Imagine being able to identify what types of devices each customer uses, and how many they use at any given time. Imagine always knowing what the connection speed is, and how strong the customer's actual connection is. Through the customer support tool, you can collect data from the CPE and obtain access to this kind of business-critical information.
– When you accumulate data through in-home monitoring, you can analyze performance on several levels. And you can determine where you need to improve and where you can save on time and expenses, explains Jens Bundgaard, Technical Program Manager at Icotera.
– Data can provide answers to numerous questions. For instance, why certain types of customers leave. If you experience high churn, you can identify why by analyzing the data from the customers who have left. This data will give you specific answers that you can use as a solid foundation for decisions on how to solve problems related to churn, he says.
“... Data can provide answers to numerous questions. For instance, why certain types of customers leave. If you experience high churn, you can identify why by analyzing the data from the customers who have left."
– Jens Bundgaard, Technical Program Manager, Icotera
Data doesn't lie
Service providers often need to adapt quickly to movements in the market and customer demands, and the use of data is an essential tool to stay on the forefront of innovation and development.
Jens Bundgaard highlights three important reasons why ISPs should focus on becoming data-driven through in-home monitoring:
– First of all, having data on-hand means that you no longer have to guess – for example, when troubleshooting. The numbers don't lie and the data you derive gives you the factual foundation for decisions. This means that you can provide better and faster customer service, because it is possible to pinpoint the exact problem right away.
– The second reason is that data creates a basis for comparison, meaning that you can compare different customer- or performance scenarios and get inspiration for new opportunities from a business perspective. And finally, being data driven makes it possible for you to accurately put parameters like speed into a sales perspective. It makes it possible to go to market with numbers based on hard facts that can be proven.
Data is the foundation for making the right investment
Being able to break down data to a single household lets you build customer scenarios and predict the expected cost and revenue on different types of customers.
– You can see how much support you have spent on an aggregated level and on an individual level. From this you can derive how much time you've spent on supporting customers with a certain product. This gives you the full overview of how much specific types of customers cost as well as how much you are spending, says Jens Bundgaard.
– This overview can help you determine whether you are investing CAPEX in the right places to keep OPEX down. Or whether there is potential to invest in other ways to create a stronger business, Jens Bundgaard ends.
WANT TO KNOW MORE about how to improve your business and cut costs through higher customer satisfaction and loyalty?
Download our e-book: Guide to improve your ISP business with an intelligent customer support tool and get a 365-degree view of how an intelligent customer support tool can help improve your ISP business.
Download the customer support tool e-book here